ICDs: Inappropriate shocks may be killing you!

HeartHawk
By HeartHawk Latest Reply 2011-05-20 22:10:45 -0500
Started 2011-05-14 23:03:10 -0500

Many community members have Inplantable Cardioverter-Defibrillators (ICDs). These are life-saving devices on the cutting edge of technology. But as as anyone with an ICD can tell you, receiving a shock can be an "eye opening" experience!

Now, a new study suggests that ICDs that give innappropriate shocks can increase mortality. Here is a link to the report.

http://www.theheart.org/article/1221745.do?ut...

Please consider sharing your ICD experiences, How many or how often do you receive a shock? What does it feel like when you receive a shock? Why did your doctor suggest an ICD? Have you had a problem with inappropriate shocks? All good questions that inquiring minds want to know!

HH


6 replies

CalWarren
CalWarren 2011-05-17 08:43:30 -0500 Report

I had six shocks in one hour, the last three in an ambulance. It is extremely traumatic and waiting for the next shock is frightening.

HeartHawk
HeartHawk 2011-05-18 21:38:44 -0500 Report

Cal,

What did your doc say caused them and were they considered "unnecessary?" Was anything done to reduce future shocks? I haven't experienced ot but I understand how anxious it can make you. Like waiting to be "goosed" but more painful!

HH

CalWarren
CalWarren 2011-05-19 03:07:23 -0500 Report

At the ER, people were concerned but puzzled. Finally, when I saw my doctor, he raised the heart rate from 100 to 142. It was obvious that something was done to me that was wrong but no one admitted it.

The shock is worse than you can imagine.

Cal

HeartHawk
HeartHawk 2011-05-19 23:59:19 -0500 Report

Cal:

While every situation is different (and I do not know yours), 100 BPM seems awfully low for a trigger point. 150-180 BPM (or higher) is where tachycardia can typically become a probelm depending on the condition of your heart. Seems to me any kind of exercise or anxiety could easily lift your heart rate over 100!

Do you know what your low-end trigger point is?

HH

CalWarren
CalWarren 2011-05-20 03:52:52 -0500 Report

I agree that it was too low.

Several weeks after the implant, I was returned to the hospital for a procedure known as NIPS. You are placed unconscious and the doctor triggers the shock to determine the best data for you and to see if the ICD is working. Apparently, I was placed on too low a trigger.

I'm due for a checkup in June and I will get as much information as I can then.

HeartHawk
HeartHawk 2011-05-20 22:10:45 -0500 Report

Cal:

Please report back with every detail you can squeeze from your doc. As I related to Maggie O, what might seem silly or insignificant to you might be the tidbit someone else needs. The power of knowledge is in the sharing!

HH

Next Discussion: electrolyte »