Like "Arrhythmias affect roughly 5% of the population according to Dr. Richard E. Klabunde in his book Cardiovascular Physiology Concepts. According to Dr. Klabunde, an electrocardiogram (EKG) administered by a physician is the recommended way to begin diagnosing the seriousness of an arrhythmia so, yes, seeing a cardiologist would seem prudent. I have a slight arrhythmia myself called Premature Atrial Contractions (PACs) and occasional Premature Ventricular Contractions (PVCs). Because it is often difficult to catch these ectopic (irregular) beats it is common to diagnose them by taking a 24-hour EKG. This is done by wearing a device called a Holter Monitor (named after the guy who invented it) which is about the size of iPhone and is wired up to your chest similar to a standard EKG. This is how my arrhythmia was diagnosed. My cardiologist told me that PACs and PVCs I have are generally benign and that virtually everyone has an ectopic beat from time to time, particularly as they age. Most people do not notice them at all (but he explained that thin people tend to feel them more often). It is the type and duration of the arrhythmia that he says I should be concerned with. For example, I need to remain on guard that my PACs do not develop into Atrial Fibrillation (AF) which is a sustained fluttering of the upper heart chambers."